[arm-allstar] Question about TX levels and audio

Steven M Mold smold at gingaman.com
Tue May 7 17:03:15 EDT 2024

I'm currently working with the "AURSINC Allstar RF Node UHF SR-FRS Radio
Programming Module Pi-hat for Allstar, Echolink, APRS, Digital Modes
Compatible for Raspberry Pi 2/3/4 | Pin to Pin Replace SA-818 Module| UHF
Freq 400-470" that I bought from Amazon ([link](
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BNKS4GGH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details)).
Setting it up has proven to be quite challenging, but I'm making progress
toward a fully operational node. However, I'm encountering an issue with
unexpectedly high power output. Despite adjusting the software levels to
reduce audio output, the transmission power remains excessively high.

To mitigate this, I've introduced 90dB of attenuation, which has had some
effect. Interestingly, the node still manages to transmit when enclosed in
a makeshift Faraday cage, suggesting that the USB cable might also be
functioning as an antenna.

I suspect this excessive power output could be contributing to the high
audio level reports I've been receiving, prompting me to reduce the mic
gain on my 991A from 50 down to 20.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with this device? Any guidance
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 73 M7OOR