[arm-allstar] Question about TX levels and audio

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Tue May 7 18:20:20 EDT 2024

Hi Stephen:

The AURSINC modules are, let's say, less than well built. They have been
known to be quite spurious in their output as well. I don't know if this
uses a real SA818 or a clone. Maybe even a clone of a clone, at this
point. I trust those AURSINC modules about as much as a Baofeng without
a rubber duck to hit a repeater 100 miles away.

First of all, the TX audio level has nothing to do with TX power output.
This isn't single sideband. There is a carrier even with no modulation,
and I'm pretty sure you can't actually adjust the power output level of
the radio module itself. The SA818 doesn't actually include a working
register for adjusting it.

Second, if you are getting reports of high audio, you should turn down
the  RX level in simpleusb. My parrot node (55553) will give automated
level reports, as well as play back your audio, so you can get a pretty
good idea how it sounds.

It is also possible that your emphasis curve isn't properly set up in
the radio, simpleusb or both, which would cause muddiness either on RX
or TX, depending on how things are. Without hearing the result, I can't
say more.

73

N2DYI