[arm-allstar] picking frequency

Jason cturning1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 17:21:51 EDT 2019

Looks like Canada has had 406-430MHz for fixed and mobile service for quite
some time as I remember that limitation from studying for General long ago.

Consequently, we're secondary on 70cm and only get to use it where we don't
interfere with the primary, the U.S. Military. That's not a really solid
allocation for us as we learned here in Northern California when they
started updating the Pave Paws radar site. Having sat in on a presentation
by the person overseeing that operation years ago, they had updated the
software and sensitivity which sparked the crack down on 70cm ham activity
which was interfering (their software would notch it out and it didn't
really impact them or it would have been classified), and they were going
to be updating the antenna array hardware which may have been completed by
now. That decimated 440 repeaters here, and those still operating had to
severely lower power or null out the Pave Paws direction. And beyond their
over the horizon radar mission (sub based missile launches primarily) they
were also using it to track all the satellites and debris in orbit. That
became more difficult after China tested their satellite killer missile,
and probably worse now with all the things that have been launched into
orbit since then. I will say the commander was very friendly in reaching
out to hams and letting us know what they were doing and why the FCC was
sending notices for correction.

Jason - N6WBL