[arm-allstar] IPV6

Benjamin Naber Benjamin at KB9LFZ.com
Mon Jan 21 20:15:01 EST 2019

Chris et al:

IPv6 is on just about everyone mobile device who is cellular network
connected. Some providers, in some areas, are only issuing IPv6
addresses to the wireless devices, and using a IPv6 to IPv4 gateway to
get to websites and web based services. One such is hamvoip.org and
ebay.com.

on a Linux or apple box, try it for yourself:

dig a ebay.com
dig aaaa ebay.com
dig a hamvoip.org
dig aaaa hamvoip.org

Mobile cellular data service providers and many residential ISPs only
give their clients ONE IP address. If the ISP knows what they are doing
they are dual-stacking - giving one IPv4 and one IPv6 address.

This said, any decent home router such as Microtik, not the junk from
the ISP, can be used with a dynamic DNS service: freedns, dyn.com,
dns.he.net.

Many of us are not going to memorize an IPv6 address, especially since
they are subject to change without notice. An ISP issued IPv6 address
lease times on them are apparently much shorter than IPv4.

The dynamic DNS service will allow your router to communicate with the
DNS service to provide a more human suited method of addressing.
Instead of trying to find something like 2001:1684:435:6afe::feed, your
DNS service will you to simply use, i.g., pi.ws5b.com

As Doug mentioned, for incoming connections, you will need to port
forward on any router you have access to. Because the ISP's allocate on
a datalink level an IP address to you, the ports accessible to your
residential network at home are going to be more controlled - you would
not believe how many people have no idea what they are doing on a
computer and really load ISP networks with their serious infected
computers and devices - just like all the poorly-maintained operating
cars on the road.

Should you get adventurous, you can create yourself an IPv6 tunnel
*routed* network to where-ever you have control, and then you will be
free to do whatever you like. At this time, Hurricane Electric (HE)
does not close ports; this is up to you to maintain network security.
And be sure it is there, the Chinese, Vietnamese, and various parts of
South America have thousands of corrupted, minionized machines that
WILL un-doubtably try to get into your stuff. I see it every day!

he.net is a great place to get seriously confused, but left curious
enough to know more.

Benjamin, KB9LFZ

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 23:43 -0700,