[arm-allstar] DTMF Decoding oddity

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:58:24 EST 2018

Ray,

  I presume you have used the Asterisk client to confirm this? Using what
you see on the screen as you push keys? You could have two ssh sessions to
the same Pi one looking at the client while the other has
simpleusb-tune-menu open. Then as you hit the key you can change levels
etc. to possibly see what is happening. Probably the DTMF decoder in
Allstar is less forgiving then the others you are using. I can say this is
generally not a problem. This is a way to "loosen" up the DTMF decoder in
Allstar but I really do not recommend it because it can cause voice
activation and momentary muting which is very annoying and defeats what we
consider great Allstar audio,

I forget if you mentioned the make or model of the radio in question. I
know some of the Chinese radios can have problems. Here is a note about the
UV5 which may effect other radios also. It come from the fact that they
don't mute the microphone when creating DTMF. Thus if you have the volume
turned up on the radio the DTMF has two paths, the direct electrical path
and a path from speaker to microphone which can cause all kinds of havoc.

https://kk6jyt.com/sending-accurate-baofeng-dtmf-tones-from-the-uv-5r/