[arm-allstar] Weather Questions

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:46:23 EST 2018

Brad,

Please don't reply to Digest messages - instead start a new thread! It tags
along a bunch of unrelated stuff and no one really knows what it is about!

  I think you are referring to AutoSky?  It only gives warnings and no
additional information. It is not intended to give more than that and to do
so would require extensive updating and TTS.

The hourly weather gets conditions from your zip code. This would NOT be
warnings. Just temperature and conditions - rain, thunder, clear, mostly
cloudy etc. This is not TTS but rather using the built-in Allison sounds.

To do weather requires TTS - see the TTS howto at hamvoip.org. There is a
sample script called SayWeather.sh in /usr/local/sbin/example_scripts. If
must be configured for your area and you need to setup TTS as per the howto.

I did put together a script quite awhile ago that uses Allison to say local
weather called  wx_condition.sh
This script uses a local airport designator or wunderground station to
voice the weather. Again it is just current conditions and no alerts.

Weather reporting is not easy to do as you need to find a good constant
source of the text and then format the text for TTS so it speaks correctly.
The example SayWeather.sh uses NWS weather for your area and would include
alert information as well as a several day forecast.