[arm-allstar] ASL Registration system down this morning

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Aug 15 13:00:27 EDT 2018

Bryan,

Yes, that is correct for public nodes--if ASL's server is down, only nodes
registered with the HamVoIP registration system will be able to connect.
And, the opposite would be true, too, if HamVoIP's servers were down for
any reason.

To help improve overall network reliability, we're extending the HamVoIP
registration servers to all AllStar users, whatever flavor distro you're
running.  There is no limitation that you can only be registered with one
system or the other.

So, ultimately, I recommend registering with both. That should give very
high reliability.  I'm putting the the remaining pieces of the HamVoIP
system together right now. ACID/DIAL/ASL, etc., users will even be able to
download the nodelist files, if they have no other easy option.

More detail about this soon. There are some very fancy features about to
be announced!

And for any who are wondering, the HamVoIP system has reasonable US
geographic diversity. We've now got systems at 4 US locations: Los
Angeles,CA, Dallas,TX, Wilmington,NC and Secaucus,NJ. Each location has at
least GigE connectivity to major providers.

73, David KB4FXC