[arm-allstar] Channel staring

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 18:33:34 EST 2017

Lloyd,

  Below is a reprint of an earlier email I sent regarding channel steering.
First of alI I noticed someone sent config files that do not apply to
hamvoip code. Never copy config files from other versions of Allstar unless
you want issues.

This example uses BCD coding to control a Motorola or other transceiver for
channel steering where up to 16 or 32 channels can be steered. It uses the
GPIO on the Pi which would probably be preferred especially if you are not
using a CM119 FOB (DMK-URI) and you don't have enough bits on the FOB to
control what you want to control. I don't know if you radio uses BCD data
but if not you could simply select the number of bits you want to use and
raise or lower then with this example. The GPIO statements are directly
accessible from the Linux prompt and from a call or call to a script
containing them from a function command in Allstar.

Attached is a bash script I wrote some time ago to write the GPIO with BCD
data given decimal data input. The bits selected are 21, 22, 23, 24. Give
it a try. The format is:

bcd_control.sh <channel 1-16>  ....  Just the channel number No brackets.

Also remember to execute a script it must be executable - if it is not do -
chmod 750 bcd_control.sh    and if executing it in the current directory do
- ./bcd_control.sh

After you execute it will tell you what it did. Then at the Linux prompt
type:

gpio readall

You will get a chart of the I/O bits. Bits 21, 22, 23, 24 will show the BCD
representation of the decimal channel you entered.

This also includes a strobe bit because the system I was writing it for
required that. You can ignore it if you don't need it. It is bit 25 for
100ms.

You can see how this could be implemented as DTMF functions or better yet
using the autopatch through extensions.conf. See the howto on that on the
hamvoip.org web page. Also the howto on GPIO.

Using the autopatch method a DTMF like *6201  through *6216  could change
the 16 channels.

Any yes this could be done in supermon but first you need to understand
this part of it and get it working. You need to interface those 4 bits to
the radio and manually execute this command.

VERY IMPORTANT - the Pi GPIO bits are 3.3V so you cannot connect to 5V
logic directly.

Here is a link from this forum January 2016 about this -

http://lists.hamvoip.org/pipermail/arm-allstar/2016-January/002637.html