[arm-allstar] codecs

Dan Keizer ve4drk at gmail.com
Sun May 7 09:45:51 EST 2017

Thanks guys - appreciate your feedback on your experiences.

Interesting : g726 would be using about 40Kbps per connection. iLBC would
use about 15Kbps and G729 about 8Kbps, codec2 would use about 2.4Kbps.
While our available bandwidth is normally quite good - I'm also looking at
sites that may have more latency and being in vicinity of some high power
broadcast stations, ensuring a good remote wifi connection with good RF
shielding will be important for these.  While the codec2 project aims to
have decent SSB-like signal quality, it would no where come close to good
quality FM - but may be of value in some situations.

The default installed codecs on the hamvoip project are:
        INT    BINARY        HEX   TYPE       NAME   DESC
          1 (1 <<  0)      (0x1)  audio       g723   (G.723.1)
          2 (1 <<  1)      (0x2)  audio        gsm   (GSM)
          4 (1 <<  2)      (0x4)  audio       ulaw   (G.711 u-law)
          8 (1 <<  3)      (0x8)  audio       alaw   (G.711 A-law)
         16 (1 <<  4)     (0x10)  audio   g726aal2   (G.726 AAL2)
         32 (1 <<  5)     (0x20)  audio      adpcm   (ADPCM)
         64 (1 <<  6)     (0x40)  audio       slin   (16 bit Signed Linear
PCM)
        128 (1 <<  7)     (0x80)  audio      lpc10   (LPC10)
        256 (1 <<  8)    (0x100)  audio       g729   (G.729A)
        512 (1 <<  9)    (0x200)  audio      speex   (SpeeX)
       1024 (1 << 10)    (0x400)  audio       ilbc   (iLBC)
       2048 (1 << 11)    (0x800)  audio       g726   (G.726 RFC3551)
       4096 (1 << 12)   (0x1000)  audio       g722   (G722)

I think I'll have to give these a try and test them on the RF side as well.
(I used g729 as a standard for all my prior asterisk configs).  Will do
some tests, thanks.

And, just so I know, what's the preferred method on recompilation -
-downloading asterisk and rebuilding -- assuming compiling fresh from
source, what's the usual time frame for recompilation on these machines
these days?  Do you have source that you have used or just the images?

73, Dan ve4drk