[arm-allstar] codecs

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun May 7 05:37:31 EST 2017

Hi Dan,

I added CODEC2 to Asterisk/AllStar several years ago as an experiment.
While IMHO the audio quality was better than that heard on systems using
the IMBE/AMBE CODECs, the quality was still *FAR* below iLBC (and G729,
which is now freely available, since the patent expired a few months ago).

And, I found that once IAX2 protocol overhead got added in, the network
bandwidth savings over using iLBC wasn't as impressive as I had hoped.

So, CODEC2 sat unused; the only obvious choice for using it being to avoid
transcoding if CODEC2 audio came from another source---like from an HF
MODEM using the FreeDV software or similar.

Anyhow, this code pre-dated the hamvoip project and was running on a
hybrid x86 ACID box. That code isn't in the current V1.5 release; however
it is still on an that old ACID system. I've never tried it on an ARM
chip.

73, David KB4FXC