[arm-allstar] codecs

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun May 7 17:18:47 EST 2017

Hi Dan,

That list (from the CLI command: "show codecs") shows the "official"
Asterisk id numbers for the listed CODECs, but it doesn't mean that all
those CODECs are installed and available for use.

To see what CODECs are installed, use the "show translation" command,
where you'll notice that speex, G729, G723 and G722 are not installed.

Also note that when I added iLBC, I hacked the config to utilize 20mS
frames, NOT the standard 30mS frames, as is typically found in Asterisk.
This hack was required since everything AllStar related uses 20mS frames,
no exceptions.

The CODEC2 variants that I installed were for 3.2Kbps and 2.4Kbps data
streams. I'll try to dredge this code up.

At this other end of the spectrum, I expect G722 (not currently installed)
might warrant some investigation, even though it requires a higher
sampling rate.

In my experience, most high-speed WiFi links have plenty of bandwidth for
any standard Asterisk CODECs. If you're piggy-backing on someone else's
backbone, your bandwidth requirements won't even hit the RADAR. The
problem, of course, is highly variable latency when those links get
heavily loaded.

On a historical note, my original reason for adding iLBC was due to
testing using 150Kbps, 900mhz data radios intended for SCADA and telemetry
type communications.  iLBC was the only free CODEC with reasonable audio
quality that would work on that link--and still does today.

73, David KB4FXC