[arm-allstar] Portable Node Excessive Data Usage

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun Jul 2 14:27:33 EST 2017

Frank,

If you're using the uLAW CODEC, 400mb of bandwidth is about 12 hours of
one-way audio. The way I came up with that number is from calculations
based on real, measured bandwidth use. Here is the calculation:

(400 megabytes of data)
/ (0.0094 megabytes per second for uLAW)
= (42553 seconds of audio)
/ (3600 seconds per hour)
= (11.8 hours of audio)

As mentioned in a message from last year
(http://lists.hamvoip.org/pipermail/arm-allstar/2016-August/003563.html ),
the actual measured bandwidth requirements for several common CODECs are:

(All results in Kbytes-per-second for an actual IAX2 UDP data stream)

ULAW	9.4
G726	5.5
iLBC	3.5
GSM	3.2

....Now I have more CODECs to add to that list, which will be added to our
codebase soon (again in Kbytes/s):

In beta test:
CODEC2(3.2kbit)	2.0

In pre-alpha test:
AMBE+2(2.0kbit)	1.6

Note that AMBE+2 will require external hardware. The CODEC2 audio quality
is definitely "digital" sounding. And, AMBE+2 sounds like DMR, etc.

73, David KB4FXC