[arm-allstar] Fwd: Data Usage

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Aug 10 16:52:03 EST 2016

Just out of curiosity, I decided to test the bandwidth needed for a
simplex data stream with different CODECs, including IAX2 overhead. Here
are my results, in Kbytes per second (50 packets per second), as reported
by the iptraf-ng software:

All results in Kbytes-per-second:

GSM	3.2
iLBC	3.5
G726	5.5
ULAW	9.4

These data rates will be in-bound or out-bound, depending of if your local
node is listening or talking to another node across the VoIP network.

Also, if you happen to be running full-duplex, like 2 people on different
VoIP linked repeaters "doubling," there will simultaneously be an in-bound
and out-bound data stream, doubling the total data transferred.

73, David KB4FXC