[arm-allstar] Could a fresh install, with the proper settings and tweaks be done on different pi3's?

kd4ont kd4ont at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 03:03:03 EST 2017

I have a friend that has a node. I keep telling him to bring his pi3 and sd card to me so I can fresh install and apply custom tweaks to. He wants me to meet him, hang out for god knows how long and use his hardware to get his node set up. He is very impatient that I need some time to hand tweak some rpt.conf stuff, and I'm not going to do it at his place.
I think I could, but I'm confirming here. Could I do a fresh install on my pi3, do updates and tweaks, run image-backup.sh on my hardware, then flash his setup on his hardware? I'm guessing I'll need to know his node number and 6 digit password for the allstarlink node. Our network cards obviously don't have the same mac address or wifi passwords.
I'm assuming that the distro will see that issue and make him enter the correct info. He's a rf guy, but not that good at computer stuff and linux command line.
He would probably have to enter his network info. He would have to accept my choice of username and pw. I'm guessing that almost everything should fall into place.
Am I thinking correctly? I will run win32image backup prog to flash his sd card. I don't want to spend lots of time at his qth, referencing info, answering questions, getting distracted often. When I work on something, I want it in peace and zero distractions and what I'm comfortable working with. Come over to my place, set my stuff up, and use what hardware I have.... I'm sorry, but I have my set of tools I like to use. I'm not going to hump them over to your place to set your stuff up. He is making something simple, a real pain in the butt. Give me your node for 24 hours, and I'll have it dialed in.