[arm-allstar] BBB URI USB-HUB Distorted Audio

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Jan 2 10:00:35 EST 2015

Still sounds like a ground loop to me! ...And, it'll probably be back.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Randy,
>
>   Glad to hear you solved the problem. I can't see how the keyboard
wired or unwired would have caused analog distortion though. Perhpas it
was a digital problem. In any event as was mentioned you do not need a
keyboard or monitor to run or to setup BBB Allstar. No one that I know
runs it that way. You ssh in using putty from another computer and log in.
> 73 Doug
> WA3DSP
> http://www.crompton.com/hamradio
>

> Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 06:22:32 -0500
> From: randy at neals.ca
> To: arm-allstar at hamvoip.org
> Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] BBB URI USB-HUB Distorted Audio
>

> Hi all,
>
> The sound is like a hum and at higher audio levels makes the audio distorted.
> The USB keyboard seems to be the culprit.
> Tried the USB hub powered and not-powered, did not make a difference.
>
> Now that I have the node setup, I won't need the keyboard - so will leave it unplugged.
> I'll get a different brand keyboard and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Anyway, node 28701 is now on the air - VE3PBO.
>
> thanks,Randy
>

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Doug Crompton <doug at crompton.com> wrote:

There is probably no reason to power a powered USB hub. I run the Belkin 4 port with DMK URI, Wireless FOB, USB memory stick, and USB to serial converter without powering it.

> The only touchy one would be the wireless fob which can draw more current but most other things you would connect will work fine without power.
>
> 73 Doug
> WA3DSP
> http://www.crompton.com/hamradio
>

> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 14:02:56 -0500
> From: kp4tr.ramon at gmail.com
> To: arm-allstar at hamvoip.org
> Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] BBB URI USB-HUB Distorted Audio

    To add to this, the problem may be
      using a USB hub itself for power and a low quality one.

      1. Use a quality 2 amp 5V power source. Not a USB phone charger
      type.

      2. Don't connect a keyboard to the BBB. There's no need for it.
      Use ssh to administer your node from another computer on your
      network.

      3. Don't connect a monitor to it either.

      In short, just use the USB port for the sound card/FOB. And don't
      use a USB hub at all.

      73!

      On 1/1/2015 1:33 PM, Robert Pantazes wrote:

        Doug,

        Sounds like 60 Hz is on the
          audio.

        Bob, W2ARP

        On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Doug
          Crompton <doug at crompton.com>
          wrote:

              Randy,

                    I guess my first question is it truly hum or
                  distortion? You said distortion and I think what you
                  need to nail down is it a digital or analog problem.
                  Some questions...

                  Are you using 1.2.1 code? Have you changed the startup
                  delay time which defaults to 30 seconds?

                  If this is just hum what frequency is it? 60 cycles,
                  120 cycles or higher?

                  Is it happening in both directions TX and RX?

                  A lot of people use the DMK and cheap USB fobs and
                  this is the first I have heard of any analog problems
                  especially when there is not readio connected and no
                  potential ground loops.

                Happy New Year!

                  Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 02:42:25 -0500

                  From: randy at neals.ca

                  To: arm-allstar at hamvoip.org

                  Subject: [arm-allstar] BBB URI USB-HUB Distorted Audio

                    I've been experiencing a distorted audio problem
                    while setting up a BBB with powered USB-HUB, DMK
                    URI, and USB Keyboard.

                    The audio distortion is noticeable on audio from the
                    node. (transmit audio)

                    To eliminate/isolate the issue I swapped out the URI
                    for a SYBA USB Audio FOB and PC speakers.

                    Still the same background hum/distortion. So that
                    eliminated RF interference, ground loops, the URI
                    and the radio.

                    Through further elimination, I have identified that
                    when my USB keyboard is connected to the USB HUB,
                    the hum/distortion is louder. (URI through USB HUB
                    to BBB, no Keyboard)

                    And then have compared the audio when not using a
                    USB hub at all, and I think there is a further
                    improvement in audio, although not as major as when
                    the keyboard is /is-not connected.

                    My next troubleshooting step is to swap out the
                    keyboard, and then swap out the USB HUB.

                    The USB Hub I'm using is an AmazonBasics 4 Port USB
                    3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter

                      Package includes:
                          1 USB 3.0 4 Port Hub / 1 5V/2.5A Power Adapter
                          / 1 built in 10 inch USB 3.0 cable / 1 Owner's
                          Manual
                      Compatible with
                          USB 3.0 and backwards compatible with USB 2.0
                      Support Low speed
                          (1.5 Mbps)/ Full speed (12 Mbps)/High speed
                          (480 Mbps)/ Super speed (5 Gbps)
                      Support auto
                          switching between self-power and buspower mode

            arm-allstar at hamvoip.org

            Visit the BBB web page - http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/BeagleBoneBlackAllstar/

        --

                de Bob, W2ARP