[arm-allstar] BBBlack Arch -- how to do usbradio?

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Jul 6 08:12:26 EST 2014

Jonathan,

  Simpleusb is recommended on the BBB but I have had reports that some users were successful with usbradio. It is no different on the black than on a PC as far as setup is concerned. Honestly I have never used usbradio. Simpleusb works fine for me but I know there are some advantages of usbradio especially in repeater applications and for radios that do not interface well with simpleusb. However there is no guarantee that the audio quality will be good especially if you are using all of the dsp features in usbradio. This holds true on a PC as well as the BBB. I have heard some pretty crummy usbradio audio on PC's. So make sure your audio is good. I hate to hear an Allstar node with bad audio. Often the bad audio is on TX and you may never know unless someone tells you.

The BBB image has a file in /etc/asterisk  called usbradio.conf.xxx   That file could be edited for your node and called  usbradio.conf  - also you would need to call it from by editing the rxchannel line in rpt.conf.

rxchannel=Radio/usb    < the usb corresponds to the name in usbradio.conf

Also there is a complete sample file located at:

 /usr/src/utils/asterisk/configs/usbradio.conf.sample
I am sure there is someone on this list or the app-rpt list that can help you with configuration should you have problems. Also here is a link that gives details on the usbradio.conf options.

https://allstarlink.org/usbradio.html

Again if you don't need any of the usbradio features I would stick with simpleusb on the BBB.

I am curious what your specific need is for usbradio?

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio