[arm-allstar] power up

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sat Dec 6 00:57:54 EST 2014

There are data sheets on all these parts. I attached one for the LM3xx/78xx parts. Typically the spec is .2 to .3 uf on the input and .1 on the output.  These are mounted as close to the pins as possible. I suppose it would not hurt to put an electrolytic on the input but you want to filter higher frequencies and electrolytics are poor at that thus the small .22 or .33 on the input.  It is also not a good idea to put a larger value electrolytic on the output. These regulators can be damaged by reverse voltages - input at a lower voltage than output - which could happen if you had a large charged electrolytic on the output and the input went low. Often you see a diode from input to output of the regulator, cathode towards the input, to limit any reverse voltages but this is usually not necessary.

There is plenty of data on the Internet on these regulators. Google  lm7805  -  both fairchild and TI data sheets are out there in entirety.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio