[arm-allstar] Was location of log files in RPI-2-3-4_V1.6-18-Allstar image: now how to make logs persistent

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Mar 22 12:02:51 EDT 2021

Don,

Most of the system logs are persistent, apache being an exception.
systemd uses the journald software for logging. To see the combined
log, try:

journalctl

For more info about the options and filtering results, etc:

man journalctl

73, David KB4FXC

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, "Don Rolph via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Ok this image uses the systemd journal approach and the log is stored by default under:

/run/log/journal

BUT that introduces the problem that the system logs (and also Apache logs) are not persistent and if the system crashes, how do we preserve the logs for debugging?

It seems odd that the image would clear all old logs during restart.

Indeed the /var/log directory seems to be refreshed anew with each reboot.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad