[arm-allstar] Channel Steering on Motorola RIM-Lite

John Stradal n5api at n5api.net
Sat Feb 20 13:00:13 EST 2021

As pointed out, certain Motorola radios will channel steer. My preference is
the CDM series radios since they are the newest and are selling for around
$130 or less on eBay depending on features. I am using CDMs paired with the
RIM-Maxtrac for all my AllStar systems. The GM300 series does work as well,
and they do have the benefit of being a little cheaper and easier to find
software to program them.

Channel steering works well with the RIM-Maxtrac on the radio models that
support it. Only a 16-channel version GM300 or CDM with a display (1250 or
1550) will support it. The 8-channel version of the GM300 and the CDM750 do
not support channel steering.

There are some other pitfalls to avoid when selecting a radio for purchase.
Full model numbers tell you a lot about what's under the hood, so pay close
attention to them. Also keep in mind that these all are programmed with
proprietary software and cables, however the GM300 radios can theoretically
be programmed using HamVoIP. Read up on Repeater Builder and Batlabs about
the CDM and GM300 series before taking the plunge if you aren't already
familiar with them.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions.

73 and good luck!
John, N5API