[arm-allstar] USB Cell Modems

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Tue Dec 28 21:39:41 EST 2021

* On 2021 28 Dec 19:59 -0600, "Chris Viningre via ARM-allstar" wrote:
> I run a cell modem for my whole house and my Allstarlink on my repeater.
> The only problem I have is AT&T will not let me port forward. With that, I
> can't connect from outside the network.

Some years ago I thought I might be faced with a similar situation and
using a cell router for here at my place.  I learned that most cell data
networks employ Carrier Network Address Translation (CNAT), which would
probably be the same for a USB cell modem.

I set up an AWS EC2 instance and learned about SSH reverse forwarding.
In simple terms, I could establish an SSH connection from this desktop
to the AWS instance and then remotely I could connect to the AWS
instance and then connect to a designated port on the AWS' localhost via
SSH and be logged into this computer.

SSH is capable of doing a lot of things and with such a setup it is
probably possible to get incoming AllStar connections to your node.
It's just that the remote SSH server's IP address would need to be
registered with AllStar instead of your local IP, etc.

73, Nate, N0NB

--
Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB