[arm-allstar] Off topic

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:55:23 EDT 2020

Don,

 Allstar is perfectly capable of private point to point communications. In
fact no communications on Allstar uses a server other than to determine the
IP address and port of the node you are connecting to. All voice is point
to point. If A connects to B and B connects to C the voice data flows from
A to B who in turn sends it to C. So other than determining the addresses
and port at both ends of each connection no server is involved.

If you want to be totally devoid of the server for addresses and ports you
AND the node you want to connect to can add IP address and port information
in the [nodes] stanza towards the end of rpt.conf. This could be an IP
address or domain name. Keep in mind however that IP addresses can change
so a domain name at both ends would be more reliable. You can do this with
assigned node numbers or if you really want to be private using private
node numbers at both ends, node numbers between 1000 and 1999. If you use
private node numbers then you have to use the nodes stanza to specify each
others routing info.

Example:  If one end was node 1500 and the other end 1600 default port.

At node 1500 add route to 1600

[nodes]
1600 = radio at x.x.x.x:4569/1600,NONE  ; where the IP address is the public
IP at the other end