[arm-allstar] eth0 & wlan0

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Dec 17 17:55:14 EST 2020

Hi,

The HamVoIP distro uses the networkd service (part of systemd) to
configure the networking.

Is your node setup to use DHCP for wired Ethernet or a static IP address??
These settings can be found under the admin menu, option 6. If you're
setup for a static address, that might impact WiFi operation. If DHCP,
there should be no impact.

Typically, you won't need to manually adjust any files manually, unless
you want to put the WiFi on a static IP address. This currently requires
modifying the file: /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network

Detailed info about configuring the networkd service can be found at this
webpage: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd

The only other sometimes relevent config file for WiFi is the WPA
supplicant config, which is this file:
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant_custom-wlan0.conf

The WPA config is typically setup using the admin menu, option 7, again
rarely requiring manual config.

Also, immediately after the RPi is booted, note that the RPi red LED
should flash the IP address(es) obtained using Morse code.  Along with
this, in the default installation, the IP address should be announced
vocally on the TX audio from the CM1xy adapter. If the USB fob is attached
to a radio (and properly setup), it should key the radio and announce.  If
you don't have a radio attached, just plug a standard (unmodified) USB fob
in and listen for the announcement using PC speakers.

Happy Holidays!

73, David KB4FXC