[arm-allstar] the proverbial no audio problem, again

Noel Romey nromey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 22:13:57 EDT 2019

Hi guys.

My name is Noel, K5NER and I am new to Allstar.  I am currently trying
to use a Kenwood TS-2000 as my transceiver, mainly because I have it.
I had Marshal build me a cable, and in going over the wiring diagram
per the K2000 manual, we think it should work.  I also berified using
a RixExpert interface that audio does in fact go out via ACC2 on the
radio.  Ok, background finished, now let's go to the meat of the
problem.

I have read the multiple threads which purport to other hams having a
similar problem, but never really determined what they did to fix it.
Here's what appears to happen.  I am using a URIXB with Eprom.  Right
now, my node is completely fresh as I zapped it multiple times to see
if I saw any appreciable differences.
1. When I key up, I get a squelch tail from my radio. This tells me
that the URI is detecting some audio or the squelch is working.
2. When I run simple tune and attempt echo testing, or anything
transmits for that matter, I get carrier from the radio.
3. I have tried TX Invert on and off. PTT obviously works perfectly
with no problems.
4. Linux detects the URIXB as a valid and working audio device.
5. I am totally blind, but I am not sure if it's reading any audio
meter (on the weird visual-ish meter page in simpletune). Odd thing
that I didn't understand was that it did squelch tail after I
transmitted so I think rx is working.

I am seriously considering scrapping the kenwood ts-2000 experiment
and getting an Alinco dr.435T which is accessible and a mobile rig.
Then I could still use the Kenwood for receive when I wanted to move
the node to full duplex and when I wasn't using the KTS2000 for HF.

For now though, I wonder if anyone on list has any ideas as to what I
am missing?  At the moment I will need to redo an image/reset the node
again, but I may need someone to visually have a look as, for obvious
reasons, I am unable to run a probe on the URI pins to determine if
voltage is happening when I send audio out--it is possible, I just
don't have a talking multimeter at the moment.

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry I haven't written sooner. I just
wanted to see if I could figure this thing out myself
first--apparently I've hit a brick wall.

All the best and 73 de K5NER.

Noel Near Richmond, VA