[arm-allstar] Simplex and Allstar

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Oct 18 23:02:02 EDT 2019

Forwarding to the arm-allstar list.....

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 21:38:30 -0500
From: Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com>
To: David McGough <kb4fxc at inttek.net>
Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] Simplex and Allstar

Obviously I am not making myself clear.

We have a Skywarn net with one VHF repeater and soon to be 2 UHF
repeaters linked via Allstar only during the Skywarn net.

The simplex frequency is for one user (NWS) who cannot reliability hit
the repeater when the other repeater on the same frequency is active. We
have other repeaters linked, but they are UHF and the NWS UHF antenna is
30 feet below the VHF antenna. We are 70 km from NWS and there are hills
between. We do not believe UHF will make it but we will test it in
December. This is in case that test fails. We will link the Simplex
radio to the other repeaters only when there is a skywarn net. The rest
of the time it will be off-line.

The idea is during Skywarn we have a directed net. When someone is
talking on the net it would be repeated through the simplex frequency
for NWS to hear. When noone is talking on the net, the NWS could use
that frequency to talk to net control and everyone could hear. (It would
work like a RF link frequency between two repeaters.)

I hope that is clearer for everybody.

You said,

There are lots of mobile radios (both ham and commercial) available with
COS signaling already provided via an accessory connector. A good solution
here is to obtain a commercial radio surplus--such as from ebay. There are
many radios that work well and are inexpensive.

Where is a list so when looking on ebay or elsewhere I will know if the
radio has the COR signal available?

Kip