[arm-allstar] Password in iax.conf

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 19:26:06 EST 2019

This is a gross error on Allstar's part! We do not allow that. They
apparently have changed it so you can set any password you want which is
really not a good idea. The assigned password for new nodes is random and
12+ characters. There is no reason to change it from that. The old
convention was 6 digits which is not very secure but better than some of
the passwords it now allows you to assign. This is not something you need
to remember on a daily basis or even at all until you set that node up
again at some point. It is for registration only and if you write it down
somewhere you will always have it and even if you don't you can always go
to the allstar site and look it up. Using simple passwords is becoming more
and more a problem in the Internet world! I recommend NOT changing it from
what is now being assigned for new users.

Hamvoip assigns 12 digit random character/letter passwords you do not
change. No two nodes have the same password.