[arm-allstar] Dosbox

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 02:19:18 EST 2019

Speaking of FTDI:

I just recently tried programming a Motorola HT1000 from hamvoip-dosbox
with what is supposed to be an FTDI USB cable.

It shows up as such with lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices
International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

Using a DB9 to HT1000 cable, I got serial console errors as soon as I
turned on the radio, and the HT1000 RSS couldn't communicate with the radio.
So, do I have a bad HT1000 cable, or a bad/fake FTDI converter?
I've tried this combination with three radios.
I have successfully used dosbox to program a Motorola Radius SM50 using
a USB to RJ45 with an FTDI cable I found on Ebay. I didn't even need to
use the hamvoip specific dosbox build for that. It ran fine with stock
dosbox on my Windows computer.
As I am blind, I can't use x11 terminals, but on Windows, I can use an
old dos screen reader and com0com with some software to provide speech
over a virtual serial port using eSpeak. I could probably do this using
a second FTDI cable if I had one (tried a PL2303A and it didn't go so
well) and a hardware speech box, so long as I can get a x11 window to
launch in the first place. The recommended Windows software is almost
entirely screen reader inaccessible, unsurprisingly. I had a friend
remote into my machine when attempting to program my radios the other day.