[arm-allstar] Connection Failed

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 12:09:56 EST 2019

Rick,

  Allstar is point to point. There are no servers other than registration
and DNS lookiup if you are using hamvoip code. This error would indicate
that the node you are trying to connect to is not able to get back to you
for some reason.

Make sure both ends are registered -  check_reg.sh at both ends. Also run
dns-query at both ends looking at the other ends node number. Make sure the
results are correct. Correct IP and port. Also make sure you both have your
iax ports forwarded in your routers. You only need this for incoming
connections but that would depend on who is connecting to who. if these
check out then the other possibility is an Internet problem between your
sites. As I said once each of your nodes knows the IP address and port to
connect to the other end there is no intermediate server involved unless
you connect through another node and then all of this would apply to that
node also.

In fact no registration or dns lookup would even be required (totally point
to point and private) if each of you had the others IP address and IAX port
in the [nodes] stanza of rpt.conf. This is not the normal way to do things
but it would work and is often used in private connections. You still would
need port forwarding for the iax port.

Lastly if you are not registered with hamvoip.org and the check_reg.sh at
either end does not show registered and/or dns query shows bogus
information you may need to get a hamvoip registration. The Allstar
registration server has been on and off flaky for quite sometime. Contact
Dave or I directly to get a registration. Both ends should do this.