[arm-allstar] I am new, and the time is wrong

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Wed Aug 28 21:03:49 EDT 2019

I am trying to learn how to use this system.

I loaded the system, and have it hooked to my repeater through our
club's RLC Club-Deluxe repeater controller. The advantage is I can link
the ports for testing and unlink the ports if it is screwed up.

The node and repeater are in a watertower, which means I have to call
the city to let me in. So I am linking in remotely with ssh.

I made a ulaw file with the ID and it seems to be working. I have also
changed the courtesy tone. And made some new ones that correspond to the
different weather events everyone here is accustomed to on the VHF
repeater. (I am on the less used UHF repeater.)

Today I noticed the time was way off when it said it.

So the first thing I tried was

ntpq -p

It said command not found. so no NTP

So I looked and found the timedatectl status command on the web site,
and it returned
   [root at K5PRK_UHF asterisk]# timedatectl status
       Local time: Tue 2019-08-13 19:59:33 CDT
   Universal time: Wed 2019-08-14 00:59:33 UTC
         RTC time: n/a
        Time zone: America/Chicago (CDT, -0500)
  Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: no
  RTC in local TZ: no
[root at K5PRK_UHF asterisk]#

Except this is Wednesday September 28 and the local time (Central time)
is 7:48 p.m.

Normally Raspbian gets the time automatically from the internet, with
ntp. I do not know what is going on with this version of Arch Linux. I
use Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, and Raspbian.

i tried apt-get install ntp and apt-get does not work on Arch Linux. I
have not looked yet to see what Arch Linux uses to get packages.

How do you deal with time in Allstar? Why does it not set the time
automatically? I would think that would be a basic function that should
work right out of the box. And I have not seen anything about setting
the time and date.

That is one of the things I do not like about the RLC controller, It has
its own clock that is fast by about 30 seconds a week. So I have to
reset it all the time. I have written a Python script to reset it once a
week at 3:00 a.m. on Sunday but I have not installed it yet.

My other Raspberry Pi computers do not have this problem, and I have one
set up as a Stratum 1 time server with a GPS hat.

How do I fix the time so it is set automatically?

Kip