[arm-allstar] Disabling Time announcements

Don Backstrom - AA7AU z-armallstar at deliberate.net
Thu Aug 15 00:15:44 EDT 2019

On Wed 14-Aug-19 21:28, "rob s via ARM-allstar" wrote:
> I'm having a hard time finding the way to disable the time announcements.
> For the Rp3
> I'm sure it is right in front of me, but have looked everywhere.

	The hourly time announcements are handled by cron. If, like me, you're
getting complaints about them running all night, here's an approach for
controlling the hours when they're issued:

	Use option 9 to get to the BASH shell, then type:
crontab -e

... which will then allow your to either:

1) comment out (turn off completely) the line that includes "saytime.pl"
by placing a "#" at the beginning; or,

2) you can replace the "*" in the hour column (for any job) with a range
like 6-22 (or with a comma-separated string like
6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22) and then your friends
can sleep at night without messing with their radios.
	see:	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cron#Crontab_format

        BTW: You can use the same syntax, as appropriate, for any of the
other numerical variables in the cron tab command line.

	cron can be your friend, just learn the syntax.

	Good luck,

	- Don - AA7AU