[arm-allstar] Mobile Hot spot dropping out

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:08:38 EDT 2019

Benjamin,

 I personally agree with what you are saying unfortunately we have a group
of newbies that think it is cool to use their phones rather than true
amateur radio. While it is convenient in certain situations to use the non-
radio connections we really should try to use RF when possible. If you live
in an area that does not have RF access to Allstar either create it
yourself or encourage others to do so.

Internet via cell is not the same as using your voice cell phone. VOIP has
no buffering or error correction and thus needs a very good Internet path
to have the flawless quality we are use to. While I have seen many hotspots
work well I also have seen my share of poor connections. This is highly
dependent on where you are travelling and the cell system load. This may
get better as time goes on but I would not hold my breath. Possibly using a
lower bandwidth codec like ILBC would help. It would also cut down on data
usage.