[arm-allstar] Chili mini

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:53:45 EDT 2019

Ed,

  No, the Chili is a modified Chinese FOB connected to an SA818 module
wrapped in heat shrink. It basically gives you a very limited range radio
node. You still need the Pi and its power supply. To compare it to say the
yellow box node which is a complete node package in a box that you just
feed 12V to and you are on the air using wireless. The radio-less node like
the yellow box node is a complete node in a small box but like its name has
no radio but includes all components to be a node. It has a microphone and
a speaker and just connects to 12V in wireless mode.

If you want to see what an SA818 is look at the howto I did several years
ago on the hamvoip.org web page under hardware.

BTW the radioless node should be shipping in a week or two. The hangup was
a back order on a part.

In my opinion having everything in one box is the best way to go for
portable operation and is even nice for fixed operation. Users will have to
decide what is best for them.