[arm-allstar] Easier way to effect HamVoip updates?

Don Backstrom - AA7AU z-armallstar at deliberate.net
Fri Mar 9 13:50:22 EST 2018

On Fri 09-Mar-18 10:09, "Tony Ross via arm-allstar" wrote:
> One always has the cron automated option to perform updates. "crontab
> -e" will edit the file, and one can add a line such as this:
> 30 0 * * 0 /usr/local/hamvoip-pacman/bin/pacman -Syu > /dev/null
> This will update the system at 12:30 am every Sunday, re-directing into
> the null space the standard output of the command.

	Thank you - Excellent idea, hadn't even thought about CRON as an
automated way to do this! Well done!

	If anyone wants to try this command from BASH option #9, it works well
from the CLI and shows the normal message output when tested:
	/usr/local/hamvoip-pacman/bin/pacman -Syu

> Any errors will be emailed to the root user (or alias).

	Perhaps, depending on individual configuration and email setup.

> Any results can always be viewed in /var/log/pacman.log

	Yes, but only until the next reboot! I seem to recall that Doug stores
all logs in temp space (not on the card) so as to not write to the
MicroSD card except for config changes etc - therefore logs disappear
with the next reboot or shutdown.

	Of course, one could always write a script to backup logs on the card
with the same kind of CRON approach. I'd actually like to see a "backup"
option on the menu to do just that. The occasional write to the card is
not bad, although Doug is absolutely right to not constantly write to it
during normal operation.

	I am old-school and never saw a scheduled reboot that I didn't like!

	Thanks again,

	- Don - AA7AU