[arm-allstar] Backup Asterisk

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 00:19:46 EST 2018

Luc,

 When you send email to the list it is to  arm-allstar at hamvoip.org   - I
don't think what you sent made it to the list but I will answer here and
copy to the email list.

First of all backups are only required if you make changes and I doubt you
do that as often as every week but if you do there are a couple of ways to
backup. The scripts in /usr/local/sbin  are file-backup.sh and
file-restore.sh   They will backup pertinent files and you can add others
The backup is to a USB stick inserted in the Pi or to a tar file that you
can download to another site. These files would be accessed via ssh and
run. You would have to put a USB stick in the Pi's at the sites. A 32G USB
stick would do thousands of backups. The backups are dated and identify the
server.

The backup documentation is a link in the howto section at hamvoip.org and
here is the direct link -

https://hamvoip.org/backup-howto.pdf

Because of the nature of online backup for hamvoip there is no reason to
entirely backup an SD card but you can do this if you desire by removing
the card, backing it up with a card reader and reinserting it. In general
if you use quality SD cards they are very reliable. We recommend Sandisk
ultra.

If your configs rarely if ever change then a full SD card backup once you
are done configuring would be all you would need. If the primary card ever
failed you would just pop in the backup and do an image update - item 1 on
the ADMIN menu and you would be back where you were..