[arm-allstar] Private Nodes

David david at kg5rdf.com
Tue Jul 10 23:48:56 EST 2018

Doug,
Thank you for the information, it is most helpful. I will start the process tomorrow. I missed the extensions.conf requirement, so I will use the automated process.
The new registration and DNS system sounds great! The DNS charges you recommended work great.
I am assuming, I can start converting the 15 linked nodes and keep the hub public, as long as the hub knows the address for each private node? I say this because my Aredn private nodes, can connect to my my public nodes, on my network.
I would convert the hub last and do a manual change to a private node, so the address are not overwritten in rpt.conf.
I should  kick myself for not doing this first.
Thanks David KG5RDF
-------- Original message --------From: Doug Crompton via arm-allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> Date: 7/10/18  11:16 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: ARM Allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> Cc: Doug Crompton <wa3dsp at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] Private Nodes
Dave,

  Allstar can be and often is run totally private. You could even run
Allstar privately without a ham license. It could be used in other services
or for other purposes. In Amaateur radio private nodes are often used to
link repeaters or internal nodes.

You do not have to be registered for Allstar to work privately. In fact you
leave out the registration line altogether. Private node numbers are
between 1000 and 1999 and as long a you don't duplicate within your own
system you can use any number you desire.

The setup procedure - node-config.sh asks if you are setting up a private
node and that would be the best way to do it but you can do it manually if
desired. The problem is you need to make sure everything is changed
properly. You would need to use nano to change the old node number to the
new in rpt.conf and extensions.conf and remove or comment the registration
line in iax.conf. You can certainly do it this way but I would recommend
just using node-config.sh

When you are using private nodes you need to do your own routing and of
course port forwarding if the connection is outside of your LAN. This is
done in the [nodes] stanza towards the end of rpt.conf. Both ends (servers)
have to know how to get to each other including the iax port. The iax port
is defined in iax.conf as the bindport. If the bindport is different than
the default 569 it needs to be included in any routing statement - like
100.150.200.250:4570

We will be rolling out a new registration and DNS system that will allow
private nodes to be privately and securely registered thus allowing secure
lookup from the DNS node registry of your private nodes. This will make it
much easier for those using private nodes to manage them as it gets
complicated to keep tracking of addresses manually. That isn't here yet so
for now you will have to do that manually.

This howto from the hamvoip.org web page will give you more information on
the addressing and port forwarding.