[arm-allstar] New Product Announcement

Barry Buelow iabarryyy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 16:34:43 EST 2018

/And now for something completely different/*

*Announcing the AllStarLink Site Monitor (ASM)*

Today I’m announcing the availability of a new system for monitoring the
health of repeater and remote sites. The system consists of:

  * Arduino Nano based data acquisition with both hardware and software,
    and
  * RaspberryPi based software which interfaces with AllStarLink (on an
    existing or new node).

Features of the system include sensing:

  * ·Voltages(4x 0-19.8VDC)
  * ·Temperature
  * ·Discrete inputs (4x open/gnd)
  * ·Discrete outputs (4 open/gnd)

Access to these features can be via:

  * ·SSH to your RPi or
  * ·DTMF commands over-the-air.

*Both will trigger a response in voice over-the-air. *

The response can be played either locally or globally (set in config
file). The voltages are played with voice labels like “solar output”,
“battery” or make your own with TTS. Inputs status labels like “door
open” make immediate sense to the operator. The asm.conf file contains
pointers to the .gsm files.

A separate web forum has been established as I’ve no intention of
hijacking the existing list for Site Monitor questions.
https://groups.io/g/ASLSiteMonSome files are already there, including
photos and a User’s Manual (currently a 350K PDF that needs more work).
This is the same web site used for Simon’s SDR list. Please take your
questions there.

Also see:
https://sites.google.com/site/radiofarmprojects/home/asl-site-monitor
has pix and ordering info.

The Plan

A limited number of kits will be available in this first build (~30 kits
after Jan 23). All SMD devices are assembled on a new Pick-n-Place
machine and oven soldered. Through-hole connectors are NOT installed. A
limited number of Nano boards and USB cables are available. In the
future a completely assembled unit *MAY* be offered. As I’m still
working on this and other projects, I’m unable to devote the effort to
being a parts distributor and hand soldering tech. Your understanding is
appreciated. Feedback from the first batch of boards will influence the
incremental design of a follow-up. In fact, several good suggestions
have already been received from beta testers.  In 4-6 weeks, kits will
be available from stock.

Kits are reasonably priced as this need not be a huge commercial
success. Consider that proceeds fund future development, new projects
and support our local club station.

Software for both the RPi and the Nano will be made available for
non-commercial use. It is my hope that users will want to add features
and enhancements. Surely other well qualified folks will be interested
in developing the code further. Experienced and interested C coders,
please contact me if you can assist.

It is my sincere hope this proves valuable to the ASL community.

Barry w0iy

*bonus points if you didn’t have to google it