[arm-allstar] Resolv.conf for satellite users

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 09:46:15 EST 2018

OK before this goes too far!

ALL hamvoip software all the way back to the Beagle Bone Blacks has a
built-in bind 9 namserver that uses the root servers. This has worked very
well and will continue to work very well in most ALL instances. So changing
from 127.0.0.1 for name resolution is not recommended unless absolutely
necessary.

Apparently some providers against Internet protocol mask off DNS to
anywhere and use the DNS as a type of data gathering effort. Even if you
use 8.8.8.8 in many cases your DNS queries are intercepted. If appears that
a very few providers mask the use of a local bind address lookup. This
seems to be only some satellite providers at this point. We have no control
over providers messing with things in this way so whatever works for you
then use it but in general the DNS resolution should stay at 127.0.0.1
whenever possible.