[arm-allstar] a question about IaxRpt (android)

M M wa6ilq at outlook.com
Fri Apr 6 11:30:20 EST 2018

Doug:
Your VOX idea is one I hadn't thought of... just leave the
mic lead open to cut off the audio, and PTT connects the mic...

 From what I can figure out there are four headset functions
in my android phone software:

1 - A short press on the button gives hookswitch, play or pause
     A double press gives Next (as in the next tune in a playlist).
2 - A short press gives volume up, long press gives multiple steps.
3 - Ditto for volume down
4 - PTT (some phones use this to trigger voice commands)

 From my research in purchasing a new headset it seems that
all of the one-button headsets map that button to Function #1
from the above list.

The headsets with multiple buttons seem to fall into three
groups:
Two button headsets either implement #2 and #3 or #1 and #4.
Three button headsets implement #1, #2 and #3.

I've not found a 4 button wired or wireless headset yet,
but I may have figured out a way to adapt one.

I experimented with a VOM and a couple of sample wired headsets.

My measurements and experiments suggest like the buttons work
by dropping a short (#1) or a resistor (#2,#3, or #4) across
the mic leads.
With a 5k ohm mic element button #2 seems to be about 250 ohms,
#3 is 520 ohms, and #4 is 140 ohms.

Further workbench experimentation is needed...

My goal is to plug a cable (with a TRRS plug) into my android
cellphone, and that cable feeds a small interface box and then
a speaker mic... I have a leftover one from a Moto XTS5000 radio.

The interface box contains a mixer (left and right earphone
channels) and an audio amplifier that feeds the speaker half
of the speaker-mic, and the PTT button triggers the IaxRpt
transmit.

Comments?   Ideas?

Mike WA6ILQ

On 4/5/2018 9:46 PM, "Doug Crompton via arm-allstar" wrote:> The answer
as far as I know is no because there is no way to interface it