[arm-allstar] RB-USB-Lite / AllStar / Direwolf

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Wed Oct 25 12:09:15 EST 2017

I am pleased John, WB2OSZ, added the PTT via CM108/CM119 to his codebase!
The soundcard can now be installed inside many radios with only the need for
an USB cable to a RPi! In my case (non-Allstar), the RPi0-W and soundcard
will fit in the radio. Not sure of the effect it might have yet since I
haven't pushed that far yet.

I have seen frequency reporting for Allstar stations. I could not determine
if they were being generated by Allstar. I didn't look into it since I
assumed they were getting generated by some other means. It sounds like I am
wrong in that assumption. Hee haw. Just a note that may be of interest, my
interest in Allstar started because of seeing the W1FVB Allstar stations on
my APRSIS32 map.

Since data is sent to the APRS-IS (APRS Internet Servers) you have some of
what is needed assuming it isn't going out RF yet. The text packet would
need to be converted to KISS and sent to Direwolf using port 8001. I suspect
there could be a reason for bi-direction packet flow. I'd make the KISS
routine is bi-direction. Although to support incoming packets more code
would be needed.

The APRS client APRSIS32 is really simple to connect. I create a
"SimplyKISS" port and connect to the correct IP/port(8001) and I am done. If
Direwolf is on the same device as Allstar, then localhost should work. My
Direwolf instance is on a separate RPi so I just point to its IP address.

Direwolf also supports the AGW TCPIP interface. I have not tried it.

I don't know if Allstar has its own TOCALL
(http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt). If not, A quick dialog with Bob,
WB4APR, would get you one for this particular application and make it part
of the APRS specification. Once it has one, the APRS applications would
recognize the Allstar application from now on!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH