[arm-allstar] How to adjust the audio characteristics for both TX and RX?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Nov 30 15:42:10 EST 2017

Hi Irv,

The simpleusb (or usbradio) preemphasis (hi pass) and deemphasis (lo pass)
settings adjust IIR digital filters in the channel driver code. These
filters have static, compiled-in coefficients, so there is no way to
adjust them other than just enabling or disabling them.

Your IDAS system has "speaker" audio input and output, so, you will
probably want to leave preemphasis=no and deemphasis=no on the AllStar
side.

Some digital radios have audio equalization settings which can be tweaked
a bit. I don't know if the ICOM radios have this capability. I know
various DMR radios can be tweaked via the RSS software.

I don't expect you'll gain very much by trying to equalize the audio AFTER
it has passed thru the AMBE+2 low-bandwidth CODEC used by most digital
radios (like IDAS). The best plan is to try to adjust the settings in the
radio proper....That, or go back to analog FM, which will comparatively
sound fantastic!

73, David McGough