[arm-allstar] QYT KT8900D

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Tue May 30 18:26:41 EST 2017

I am not familiar with QYT but TYT radios have a pretty poor track record.
I suspect QYT is a sponoff. The TX does not seem to hold up when used as an
Allstar node even with fan cooling. Just about everyone that I know of that
has had one, and at least one person has had several, have failed. It is
also impossible to get service as in the case of TYT warranty service is a
shipment back to China which costs more than the cost of the radio. If you
do buy one make sure you buy it through Amazon and get the extended
warranty, It is very inexpensive. The problem is it usually fails in the
first 6 months and then you have to argue with Amazon because their
warranty does not kick in until after the manufacturers. What good is a
year warranty if it cost more to ship it than the cost of the radio.

Right now the best radio to use for a simplex node is the Alinco. They have
single band radios for 10M through 440 with data connectors that are easy
to interface. If you just want a local node the Baofeng 888 is a good
choice.