[arm-allstar] Fwd: Radio transmission issues

Nathaniel Biser kc3hoz at gmail.com
Fri May 5 02:16:02 EST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Nathaniel Biser <kc3hoz at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] Radio transmission issues
To: <doug at crompton.com>

All,

Thanks for the help! Doug (WA3DSP) helped test my node. He logged on to my
system and confirmed that at least, my software settings looked good. He
was not getting any audio out of my node however.

So I gutted my baofeng and confirmed that I was connected to the high side
of the pot, and that it was wired to pin 21 on the DB25 header. With little
else to go on, I desoldered the 68k resistor and pitched it. I installed a
new resistor in its place. I put the whole thing back together and tried it
out.

First thing I noticed that was different was that after I keyed up my HT,
and gave my ID, and unkeyed, I got a trailing tone, which I haven't got
before.

I used my phone on LTE, using the echolink app, I connected to my node. I
ID'd on my phone and heard it loud and clear on my HT. I transmitted on my
HT and for the first time, I heard myself clearly IDing from the echolink
app on my phone!

The only thing I can chalk it up to was a bad solder joint or a bad
resistor. Then an unknown voice came over my node and it was WA3DSP! We had
a great QSO and I am one happy camper! I spent a lot of time trying to get
this to work on my own and I was so frustrated . This apparatus has been
sitting on my desk since last November! I should have asked this forum a
long time ago and I don't know why I haven't done so by now.

Doug taught me some tricks with the lsnodes interface and how to configure
supermon and told me about the Philly node 27225.

Today has been a great day!

73s!