[arm-allstar] Rapberry PI Image for AllStar

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Wed May 3 13:37:20 EST 2017

Lee,

The hamvoip.org Allstar SW was the first to run on the ARM processor some
three years ago. The original code was on the Beaglebone Black and about a
year later on the RaspberryPi 2 and now on the Pi3. We use Archlinux as the
OS and have made many advances in the SW over Acid but keeping any of the
changes that have gone on there. The competition is basically plain vanilla
Acid running on Debian. Acid development for all intensive purposes is
dead. The hamvoip.org web page explains a little more about the development
history.

Our code has had many key advancements and bug fixes since it was
introduced. The latest version 1.5 is in place upgradable. That means if
there are code updates or bug fixes they reach the community quickly
without the need for rewriting an SD card. The updates include OS updates
as well.

As far as other changes and fixes they are listed in the readme on the
version on the hamvoip.org web page. This is up to date since the 1.5
release in January. There have been numerous updates since then and they
are noted in the /etc/allstar_version file in the release.

Another in the background but very significant improvement is the use of
the Pi's high resolution timer linked to Dahdi. This makes the audio
timings equal to the best PC and results in noticeably better audio.

In the last month we introduced Supermon an updated Allmon2. Both are
standard in the code. Also Autosky which is a skywatch warning script.

Hamvoip has had thousands of downloads to date and a large and active email
forum. We take it seriously and fix any problems that might come up very
quickly.

The hamvoip development is ongoing with many new and exciting things
coming. Users of version 1.5 will be able to experience these new features
as they come out just by doing a simple upgrade that can be done while the
system is running.

I hope that answers you questions. If not I would be glad to explain more.