[arm-allstar] Any updates on the IRLP channel front?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sun Jun 4 21:52:43 EST 2017

Steve,

I've spent a fair amount of time playing with DMR, the various
incarnations of the AMBE/IMBE CODEC, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll EVER acquire a taste for the crummy
audio quality afforded by such narrow bandwidth--at least with the
currently available radios. To me, they're stressful to listen to....And,
I've got a decent "HF" DX-listening ear, so to speak!

As hams, we have the distinct ADVANTAGE of still being able to use
wide-band FM on VHF and UHF. So, my argument is to work hard on furthering
the state-of-art on this "legacy" mode.

Once a narrow digital mode comes along where I can tell reliably who is
talking without requiring looking at the callsign on the radio display, I
may consider reevaluation of this opinion.

73, David KB4FXC