[arm-allstar] Echolink Hiccup

John wb5nfc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:33:07 EST 2017

Sorry, Doug. I should have been more specific. We travel full-time, so
there is no such thing as a normal Internet connection for us. Internet
service in most RV RV parks is deplorable. I've never been able to make any
park connection work for very long with Allstar/Echolink. My best bet has
always been to use our ATT WiFi hotspot for Allstar/Echolink.

We use a (WifiRanger Go2) router that is designed primarily for RVers. It's
a Mikrotic with custom firmware that automatically scans for available Wifi
signals and performs some other magic that makes life easier for travelers.
I would normally connect my node to the Go2. The Go2 router would be
connected to the ATT hotspot via Wifi. With OpenVPN configured on the Pi
and an open port plan through Strong VPN, this setup worked well for
several months. Since we have been in the Tucson area, I've had trouble
staying logged into Allstar and great difficulty receiving calls on
Echolink. With the new image available, I've been trying to simplify my
setup and get things going with less hastle. I had already configured the
VPN as part of setting up the new image and I knew it was working before --
that's why I chose to give it a try.  As for the port forwarding... in
addition to the ATT hotspot, I also have a Verizon hotspot. It's on a
different IP range than the ATT. In some areas the ATT works, in others the
Verizon. When I switch hotspots because of poor performance OR because we
are running out of minutes, it requires changing the port forwarding to a
different IP address -- and it's a real pain on this router.

That's the background on why I'm going about things the way I have. I'm
just looking for the easiest way to make all these parts and pieces work
and play well together.

After receiving your last email, I went back to check the configuration of
my nodes on the allstarlink.org web site. I have several node numbers
assigned, but I only keep one active while traveling. I'm attempting to
configure Allstar node 27911 with v1.5 firmware. Node 27911 resides on my
"WB5NFC-RPi" server. My 2347 node is aso assigned to that server (but it is
not turned on). I noticed that my Echolink node (41398 - WB5NFC-R) is
currently assigned to Allstar node 2347. When I try to change it to Allstar
node 27911, the change won't "stick". I've tried several times (even logged
out/logged back in and changed browsers). I have double-checked to ensure
I'm clicking on the "Save" button after making changes on the Allstar site.
I remember that one of your emails mentions that only a few parameters on
Allstarlink.org page directly impact node operation -- but I don't remember
exactly what (except probably the bind port).

Sorry for the tome...

John