[arm-allstar] Remote Base on RPi's

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Jan 16 01:30:32 EST 2017

Hi Josh,

Most radios which are supported by hamlib can be used as a remote base; I
have personally interfaced several.

The first question is: What kind of remote base? --HF, VHF, UHF, SSB or
FM, etc.??

The next question is: What are your expectations? For example, the AllStar
remote-base capability is currently simplistic when compared to the HF
"remote rig" capabilities possible with some radios (like the Elecraft
K3).

If you're thinking about a HF radio, the main caveats are to keep RF well
isolated from the RPi3 and audio/telemetry interface. Having your antenna
well away from the operating position usually is adequate; I've run KW
level power successfully. Second, for optimal SSB operation, you'll need
some type of syllabic (voice) squelch, which most ham-class transceivers
don't implement (but can be added outboard).

After trying various radios, my current favorite HF rig for remote control
is the Icom IC-M710.

73, David KB4FXC