[arm-allstar] WIFI Issue

Dave P tdydave at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:47:54 EST 2017

Greetings Doug,

Jim NH6HI and I are troubleshooting an issue with another ham's RPI3
system.  WA8WNK Nodes 45756/57.

He shut down his system (connected with WiFi) before he left on Vacation.
With the storms in San Antonio, Texas it was a wise move.  Upon returning
home and firing up his equipment, he sees all the devices are recognized on
his wireless router to include the RPI3 WIFI connection.

He notices his node is not being recognized on the allstarlink page.
Although, his CISCO Wifi router shows the RPI3 is on the DHCP list table.
We are unable to putty to the WIFI address of the RPI3.  I had owner Lee
connect the RPI3 via ethernet and I was able to SSH in with no problem.  I
did notice when I tried to perform an update option 1 that I go an error
message that the update failed.

At this point, I am having Lee get a new MicroSD card and lets rebuild the
nodes again.  Jim mentioned it could be a power spike may have corrupted
the MicroSD card or some anomaly.

(Additionally on the same subject of WiFi problems, we have a node 45655 on
Maui that went through a power outage while Jim NH6HI was on the phone with
the owner. When the power came back, the node wouldn't reconnect via Wifi.
He ran the wifi setup again and upon rebooting,  no wifi connection even
though it was able to complete the setup successfully. The setup was tried
several times to no avail.  For the interm it is connected with an ethernet
cable. We will be rebuilding the node on a new microSd card in the near
future to make sure this isn't a hardware problem.  It looks like the Pi
needs battery backup as this problem has not reared it's head on battery
powered systems.)

Just wanted to pass information if you ever encountered this issue.

73 and aloha

Dave - AH6OD