[arm-allstar] New Wx, minor enhancement

Jim Kinter Jr. Jim at k5ktf.com
Sun Apr 30 12:31:04 EST 2017

LOCATE is the linux command to find a file anywhere on the
filesystem, it looks for any reference to the argument
example:
[root@ ~]# locate butt
/usr/share/man/mann/button.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/checkbutton.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/menubutton.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/radiobutton.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/ttk::button.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/ttk::checkbutton.n.gz
/usr/share/man/mann/ttk::menubutton.n.gz
~~~

UPDATEDB is the command to rescan/reindex the filesystem of all
filenames for the locate command

On most of my linux systems, updatedb is cron'd to run every night,
to keep up with any changes from the previous day, but if something
was just installed, you can run updatedb manually to rescan
immediately for recent changes

73
Jim

At 10:10 AM 4/30/2017, \"Chris Zenchenko via arm-allstar\" wrote:
>I also love the update to saytime.
>I've wanted to do this for quite some time.
>I actually created a vocabulary of about 3500 words, letters and digits in a
>good male tts voice called James.
>It does take some time to generate, edit and then convert but the sound is
>great.
>I wish the WX script used Weather Underground however since my personal
>weather station is feeding it.
>I can get conditions close but not mine since I live in the country.
>
>I'm way behind the times. What was Barry referencing with the locate and
>updatedb?
>I've not actually looked at the scripts so not sure how locate works or how
>using it improves how the scripts work.
>
>On a completely different topic I was wondering where things are at with the
>IRLP connections.
>I remember reading about 2 months ago that something was in the works but
>can't recall any additional info.

Jim Kinter, Jr. K5KTF
Cedar Park TX
Webmaster
         <http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/>www.Broadband-Hamnet.org
         www.CTDXCC.org
         <http://www.austinsummerfest.org/>www.AustinSummerfest.org
Williamson County ARES
         2010/11/15/16/17/18 Board Member/AEC BBHN
Travis County ARES
         Member
ARRL
         Field Instructor/Field Examiner/VE Liaison
W5YI VE # 34031E
NWS Skywarn Spotter
Lone Star Spotter Network Member