[arm-allstar] New Node On the Air With Questions

Dave Sheppard csxtbonevalley at comcast.net
Sat Apr 22 12:42:42 EST 2017

Good afternoon, all,

After months of procrastination, I've finally gotten my simplex node on the
air. I successfully connected to Doug's Philly Hub and made a QSO, and also
checked into the Alaska Morning Net on their node.

I'm running a Pi3 with the 1.5 image. The node radio is a 220 Motorola
CDM1550 on minimum power. I have another 1550 (my primary 220 radio with the
antenna on my tower) that I'm using to transmit into the node, also on the
low power setting.

The 1.5 image is quite an impressive improvement - thanks to Doug, Dave and
the rest of the crew for their hard work. When I first tried to get going
several months back, I was intimidated by the image I tried at the time,
which was part of my procrastination. After learning a little more, the new
image made it incredibly simple.

I did have one odd thing happen which has not reoccurred. I tried to make my
first QSO (happened to be on Doug's node), and a station came back that I
sounded like "Donald Duck". I immediately disconnected from Doug's node, and
enabled echo mode. Sure enough, I sounded like a fast talking Donald Duck. I
rebooted the Pi, and the problem went away and so far, hasn't returned.
Anyone ever have this happen?

Using the CLI client, it appears that my DTMF tones aren't being recognized.
Can someone help with this? I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple.

Is there a way to prevent hearing node connection announcements other than
my own? For example, if I'm connected to Doug's node, I'm hearing all the
announcements of other nodes that come and go from his node.

Again, great work to all.

73

Dave S. W2PAX

Naples, FL