[arm-allstar] Newbie Question

John Baxter jwilliambaxter at me.com
Tue Oct 25 16:05:56 EST 2016

Hello,

I’m John N3FPZ and new to Allstar.  Have connected to John’s node on 446.200 in Jenkintown, PA and I’m interested in learning about this technology and possibly building a node using a Raspberry Pi and URI interface.

Long story short I am interested in building up a project box with the Raspberry Pi, URI interface and a switching setup to connect wither a microphone or the computer setup for Allstar.  Just a nice convenient package.  Maybe also hook it to a low-power FM transmitter to be able to monitor the ham bands from anywhere in the home.

The idea that hit me is probably really obvious:  If you have the interface the the Raspberry Pi already hooked up, would it be possible to extend the functionality to become more of a general-purpose packet TNC?  Perhaps even add Amtor, Slow-scan TV, Weather satellites, RTTY, CW…  and do it all way cheaper than commercial TNCs.  Do it all in the Raspberry Pi…

But I suspect that I am re-inventing a few wheels here!!!

best 73,
-john

John William Baxter
jwilliambaxter at me.com <mailto:jwilliambaxter at me.com>
215-460-9128			iPhone/text/FaceTime
215-572-0471			landline
lydiasaudioguy			Skype
N3FPZ					amateur radio callsign
LydiaFerrell.com <http://lydiaferrell.com/>		Lydia Ferrell’s music

  Psalms 19:1 “the heavens declare the glory of God”