[arm-allstar] DTMF

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Aug 1 17:52:55 EST 2016

Hi Ken,

I suspect the main reason RADIO_RELAX is enabled by default in the stock
code was that it required a re-compile of Asterisk to turn it on or off.
Re-compiling can be a tedious, frustrating and troublesome process for
inexperienced users. So, it was easier to just turn it on and not have to
deal with compile issues.  I -speculate- the decision was made to just
live with false decodes and associated audio drop-outs, rather than
dealing with user support.  "Different strokes for different folks" as the
old adage goes.

In the hamvoip release, I changed a lot of core code to make RADIO_RELAX
runtime configurable....I've come from a world of analog controllers where
users are very sensitive to unnecessary audio drop-outs.  My main reason
for making this setting run-time configurable was for emergency
situations, where it just needed to work immediately, whether the audio
quality suffered or not.

For my own curiosity, what kind of receivers are giving you decode
troubles? And, are you using URI's or homebrew FOBs, etc.?

73, David KB4FXC